Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's For Supper?

I found this recipe in a book entitled "Cooking Healthy with a Man In Mind".  Cabbage Patch Meatloaf is a winner in my house.  I've made this several times and highly recommend it.  So here goes:

Cabbage Patch Meat Loaf

16oz. ground 90% lean turkey or beef
6 T. dried fine bread crumbs (I use seasoned crumbs)
1 1/2 cups purchased coleslaw mix
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. finely chopped green pepper
1/4 t. dried minced garlic
2/3 c. Heinz Light Harvest or Healthy Choice Ketchup (reserving) 1/3 c. for topping) *

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9X5 loaf pan with butter-flavored cooking spray.  In a large bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs, coleslaw mix, onion, green pepper, garlic and 1/3 c. ketchup.  Mix well using hands.  Pat mixture into prepared pan.  Bake 45 min.  Spread remaining 1/3 c. ketchup over top and continue baking 15 min.  Place loaf pan on a wire rack and let set 5 min.  Cut into 6 servings.

Hint:  1 1/4 c. shredded cabbage and 1/4 c. shredded carrots may be substituted for the coleslaw mix.

*I used ketchup I had on hand


2 comments:

Rachelle said...

This is the first meatloaf recipe I've ever seen without egg. Does it hold together?

Dee said...

Yes, Rachelle. It holds together very well.