This year by the end of the week I felt like I could write a book....well maybe a pamphlet. These are some of the observations I made this year. Is it because I'm getting older? Maybe. But seriously, I must share.
1. Despite what you think, your baby does not enjoy the beach. It is hot, humid, sandy and they are crying constantly because they'd rather be home in the air conditioning. Now while your baby looks adorable in their beach wear including sun bonnet, I could do without the whining/crying while I'm taking my nap.
2. The family with baby "Lily", who screamed her name over and over because she wouldn't lay down and nap....I wouldn't lay down on that plastic pack 'n play either and be happy about it. Are you crazy?? And when the baby, who I am guessing was about a year old, did finally give in and sleep, they covered her up with a beach towel. You're right, she may have gotten a chill on that hot beach under that tent.
3. "Mom, I hate sand." A kid screams nearby. Seriously, maybe the beach wasn't the place for vacationing with this griping kid. That one did make me laugh.
4. The four rotund older ladies huffing and puffing as they walked by with their chairs and bags were overheard asking one another "Where do you want to sit? Where do you think we will get the best light?" Really? Right here on the open beach, not a tree in sight...Really? Another chuckle moment.
5. After a day and night of rough seas, you might want to be careful when walking out in the water. Watching people for a while, I soon found out there was a drop off at the end of that shallow sand bar. Wait for it, wait for it. Yep, here comes a lady (also older) just strolling along in this shallow water and "BAM" down she goes. She took it well and came up laughing. I had to laugh too, I'll admit.
6. The sound of the crashing waves makes it nearly impossible to hear once you are in the water away from the beach. So, please don't just stand and yell over and over to "Jeffy". He cannot hear you lady. I have figured that out why can't you? Another nap interrupted.
7. "Mom! She just got water all over me." Surprise!! We are at the beach which means there is a huge body of water out there. You just might get wet while you are here. Sibling rivalry was alive and well in this family and they sat up camp right next to my umbrella.
8. Then of course, there are the "sugar daddies" on the beach. You know, the old guy with a gut that should be covered (no one wants to see that), his skin tanned till it looks like leather, with his gold chains and his bikini clad young babe by his side. Oh gag me!!
9. And ladies at the beach who drink too much also talk way too much. I do not care who you were with last night or who you hope to be with tonight.
10. Last but not least, some females do not belong in bikinis/two piece suits of any kind. And that is all I have to say about that.
It was a wonderful vacation despite these observations I have shared today. I highly recommend a beach vacation but wait till the kids can at least walk.