Saturday, June 4, 2011

Summer = Refreshing Treats of All Kinds

Hello Blogger Friends.  I thought I'd share a yummy, cool salad with you today.  It looks as though the lazy, hazy days of summer are upon us.  With this kind of weather, it seems the cool, refreshing foods are always a welcome treat.

A few weeks ago I saw this recipe on The Nate Berkus Show (yes, I am an avid fan of Nate's).  A bit skeptical, I was, but decided I can try anything once.  Since then I've made it several times and just got finished putting another batch in the fridge for this week.  That's the nice thing about this salad.  It will keep in your fridge for a week.  A great snack or a great side to those grilled burgers and steaks you are sure to be feasting on.  This is definitely a hit in our house.

20110506_1148_Salsa_604x340
Black Bean-Mango Salad
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
*½ cup Italian dressing, any kind you like (use fat-free or low-cal)
Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup chopped red onions
1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
In a food processor or blender, take ¼ cup of the mango with the Italian dressing until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the remaining mango with the beans, red onions, and peppers. To the bean mixture, add the mango puree.>
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and chill until ready to serve.

*If you are fortunate enough to live in an area that carries "Grandma' Cool and Zesty" dressing, that is what I used.  mmmmm

Oh and I forgot to mention it makes such a pretty dish.  If you have no idea how to choose a mango or cut one up, search the net.  There are a lot of tips and even "you tube" videos out there.

I hope you enjoy trying this summer treat.

No comments: